Monday, November 8, 2010

Reflection on Security

I really had never thought much of how the economy and security issues correlated. My first years growing up were always surrounded with fear of going outside after 7, always removing jewelry before leaving the household, never wearing any well known brand clothing article, and of course, no electronics. It was just natural. I always thought that this is how the world lived. It was definitely a culture shocked when I started school in the U.S and I realized that it was okay to share and that I could be open with people. I look back now and realize that the reason why I lived in fear during my childhood was because of the economic condition of my country. People needed a way to survive, and I guess that meant they had to take my things. Is this a national security problem when it’s become part of society? I’m pretty sure when people go to travel agencies and say “I want to go to Latin America!”, they’re going to give you a run off of what to expect and I’m pretty sure hooliganism, gangs, and violence will be somewhere on their list. Now, is it the economy’s fault that the country is like this? Or is it a combination of a bunch of different factors? Is the economy possibly one of main factors?  Living in the U.S these past years has given me a different perspective in how society could be ran and that problems with local security could be countered. I walk outside in DC with my cellphone, my laptop, cash, my credit cards, my camera – like its no big deal. I treasure that so much about this country. I think for someone doubt security within the U.S, they might have to reconsider and spend a week in a developing country outside tourist areas. We taken advantage and don't consider what the United States has provided us with. Overall, this country makes me feel safe. No doubt about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment