Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Christ House

Soooooo this week we went to Christ House. I really appreciated the foundation and everything it does to save lives, but honestly I found what we did there kind of pointless. I mean, all we did was watch a video (that is posted on there website) and hear some facts (that are posted on the website). We then took a “tour” of the building, but really we just moved up a floor and talked about different facts as we stood in one spot.

Don’t get me wrong, I completely love the organization, its just that I felt what we did there wasn’t really something that required us to actually go. I wish we went there and did some kind of volunteer work at least. I would’ve loved if we helped in the kitchens, served food, helped with custodial work, etc.

It was also kind of awkward just walking through these people’s living space talking about their lives within earshot. I tried to put myself in their shoes during the ordeal. I don’t really know if I would’ve been pleased if I was a homeless amputee sitting on a bed as groups of well-dressed private university students walked through, gawking at every injury they encountered, then quickly composing their stare. The bottom line was that this Wednesday lab could have easily been conducted in our formal lounge, with a speaker and a TV for the video. Going there felt unproductive and awkward, and I felt like we didn’t do enough.

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately our group was too big for a service project last Wednesday, but you're more than welcome to go back on your own time. I agree the tour could have been better, but since the rain had driven everyone inside, there wasn't much to see without intruding on the residents' privacy.

    Why did the juxtaposition of well-dressed private university students and homeless chronically ill patients make you uncomfortable? (Also, that may have been, in part, the point ...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just felt like our mere presence was condescending. The looks we received as we toured their living space were extremely awkward, and I definitely got the feeling that "tour time" was one of the patients' least favorites.

    ReplyDelete