Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Alternative stories and Alternative views

At first I wasn't real thrilled to listen to the talk by Professor Tickner, but it actually got me thinking about a lot of things. It got me thinking about the history that we frame our theories around and what the effects would be if we shifted to looking at it from a different perspective. Would we be better off or at least learn something from looking at all the opinions and views? I think so.

"History is written by the victor," said Captain Price in Modern Warfare 2. Professor Tickner said the same today. This has great implications for what we view as being successful and right vs. failure and wrong. As she said, there were many peoples who were colonized that ended up as statistics and objects. This made me think of when I studied Greece and Rome. We learned about all their glorious and extensive conquests over territory. The people of those territories were described as being slaves and servants to those who moved into these new territories. There was only a brief paragraph about it and it was framed as if the slaves actually helped development of those empires, sort of justifying it. We tend to ignore those enslaved and uphold Rome as the pinnacle of state power. This may or may not be the right way of looking at it but we must consider as Tickner said, the voices that we don't hear or else we are apt to make the same mistakes again as we so often do. That is why I think people say history repeats itself.

1 comment:

  1. "History is written by the victor"
    I totally agree with this statement, and I coincidentally wrote a blog post that agrees completely with that statement. I wrote about how victors can totally influence whether revolutions or rebellions either come off as radical terrorism or as justified retaliation against unfair oppression. Here's a link, check it out!

    http://letts6.blogspot.com/2010/10/when-does-it-become-okay.html

    ReplyDelete