Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Security and Afghanistan?

I can’t say I feel particularly safer with presence in Afghanistan, but then again, I don’t know how I’d feel without it. I think it all has to do with your relationship with the military and Afghanistan. It’s a very abstract concept. For instance, how can you value something if you don’t actually see it? Unless people can get a proper understanding of what’s going on in Afghanistan and what the immediate threat the country poses, no one can fully feel safer. Part of it has to do with geographic distance. There is no direct communication with Afghanistan and the American people. We assume we need it based on the media and politicians.

Despite how controversial this war is, I feel safer knowing that we have troops in Afghanistan? Why? It shows my country has some interest in national security and their not consuming tax dollars on their personal expenses. I'm not sure how many people have lived oversees, but crime rates in America are nothing alike. No one can even say that its a lack of funds - officials just use it all for themselves. What happens to national security? In the U.S, I wake up every day knowing I won't get mugged if I simply walk out of my home. I don't have to think twice and say, "Wow, my cell phone is in my pocket. Let me take it back home." We don't fear getting onto public transportation and fearing that someone will pull a gun or knife out. In other countries, fear is part of every day life. Thats why I live here in the U.S. I understand that people may have different views on how to effectively work out national security policies, but knowing that something is going on to secure my well being is relieving.

The problem with my opinion is that I am one, just like many others, who don’t know what’s going on the front. Is the military abusing its power? Are we actually in Afghanistan for national security purposes or is this for some another? Despite all of the doubts that may arise, I’d like to have some military initiative to promote security during an international conflict. I rather live in doubt in whether being in Afghanistan is the proper choice, than live in fear every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment