Monday, October 11, 2010

Simulation Reflection

            I wasn’t exactly thrilled with the simulation. I’ve participated in forensics all throughout high school and I felt it was more structured. I definitely saw the need of having cross examination. The problem with some teams was that they were addressing comments of other teams with a different interpretation. I believe that cross-ex would have also given “the President” an idea of whether or not the team could defend their position quickly and efficiently. Nevertheless, I did enjoy seeing different groups defend their point.
            Throughout forensics, individuals would have to defend sides with a generalized position, but they would never take into consideration different groups, as the simulation did. It was definitely an eye opener when the President stated at the end that none of the groups addressed working with the current status quo and that everyone sought some degree of change. Perhaps in my mind it was always the “ideal” thing to have a drastic change, but I never saw the practicality in it. The President brought up an interesting reason for this and he stated that change would be costly. I now see that in the process of dealing with policies, one has to take into great consideration reforming policies rather than completely eliminating it.  With this in mind, I definitely have a stronger understanding of what to expect for the next simulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment