Sunday, October 17, 2010

SAAALOMEEEEE

Salome was… interesting. I had never been to an opera before and, to be honest, I didn’t really know what to expect. Even though we had endured the opera workshop, I didn’t think it had really prepared me for what I saw. After the workshop, I was expecting a provocative, outlandish, wild performance; the antithesis of a typical “grandfather’s opera”. However, I didn’t find the opera any stranger or more outlandish than a typical Shakespeare performance. Though the plot was quite peculiar, I didn’t see anything that was really “R” rated. I thought the opera was artistically pleasing, however the repeating trends of the dialogue were kind of annoying. It was frustrating knowing exactly what was going to happen/KEEP happening and just seeing the characters string out conversations for-ev-er.

My favorite part was one of the few scenes that didn’t include this repetitive dialogue, the dancing scene. Though it was extremely creepy in context, the colors and choreography were outstanding. I absolutely loved the shift in background colors that highlighted different emotions that were conveyed through the dance. On that note, the background colors and their shifts to represent the emotional climate was probably the most interesting part of the entire opera. Overall, I enjoyed the experience and I am thankful I went. Plus, I got a great new facebook profile picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment