Sunday, October 17, 2010

Risk

            I’ve honestly glad to finally see something familiar in the classroom: Risk! Well, its not exactly “class material”, but we are able to learn some basic concepts of diplomacy through it.  At first, I was a bit skeptical when I was trying to figure out how this new version of Risk worked out. After day one, I don’t like it. It has to do somewhat with the structure of the game, but I feel that overall it has to do with the members in the group. I have nothing against them personally, but I feel that they click into character, whether it is Head of State or Diplomat, but all of the negotiations and decisions are made through them. They are allowed to conceal information from the other members of the group. I’ve wondered if what they’ve told us is every true – if doing “such-and such” is actually our real goal or if that’s a lie they told us just so we won’t reveal any important information to other members unintentionally. I mean, I haven’t exactly seen the paper they were given.
            I’m quite sure that everyone else who wasn’t assigned a role may feel as if they aren’t exactly contributing. You could always “suggest” a move or strategy, but if the two main guys don’t agree, they don’t have to pursue your idea. I wonder if this is how politics actually works. Even if we petition and fight for what we believe foreign policy should be like, the people who are elected/assigned into a certain position, will listen to the public, but will ultimately base their decisions on what they believe. Is it exactly diplomatic then? Or does this ultimately make the “ideal” leader who goes with their gut instinct despite popular opinion?
            Hopefully in Tuesday’s class things change around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment