Tuesday, December 7, 2010

¡Salud!

The semester has finally come to a close and how do I feel? Is there is a sense of accomplishment? Or perhaps dissatisfaction? I feel neither. For my final blog, I want to explore my thoughts in my first language.

Uno entra en este mundo con el deseo de encender la llama de su alma y encontrar el susurro de sus deseos. Algunos encuentran su motivación el en mundo y se dedican a encontrar su paz en los cuentos de otros mientras algunos buscan entre paginas para calmar su sed. Entender estos modos de pensar es difícil ya que estas personas nunca van a estar en el mismo lugar al mismo tiempo – excepto en un lugar académico. Cada quien quiere compartir su pensar, es lo mas natural del ser humano. La evolución nos ha dado el poder de cambiar el motivo de nuestro tiempo en la tierra. Ya no solo es dejar nuestra genes, pero sino nuestros pensamientos.

Mi clase de política se distingue de cualquier otra clase que yo he tenido la fortuna de participar en. Donde uno va encontrar un ambiente donde puede soltar su fuente de pensamientos? Claro, la idea al inició fue un poco raro ya que esto no se encuentra fuera de la aula. Aunque mis temores me hayan detenido en compartir, siento que aprendí tanto de mis compañeros. Uno se va enamorando de la manera de pensar del otro. Así fue. Siempre tuve el deseo de que alguien me sorprendiera y causara que yo dude mis creencias.

Eran mi Unamuno << mi fuente de duda >>. A veces, sentía me estaba en la casa de Bernarda Alba y Borges me daba la mano. Pero Rulfo, << una combinación de el profesor y el tiempo >> me quito sus manos y pude escuchar sin preocupaciones.

Les agradezco desde lo mas profundo de mi ser. Se que varios no van a poder entender este blog, pero mi cariño para todos permanecerá.

Un semestre terminado, pero una vida de amistades y experiencias. 


---
English Translation 
Note: It probably won't sound as great as it does in Spanish.


One enters this world with the desire to light the fire in their soul and find the whisper of our wishes. Some find their motivation in the world and find peace in the history of others, while some satisfy their thirst in pages (meaning books). Being able to understand these ways of thinking is at times very difficult since these persons are never in the same place at the same tim - except in an academic place. Everyone wants to share their thoughts, it is only human nature. Evolution has given us the ability to change out motive for being on earth. Its not just about leaving our genes, but our thoughts as well. 



My politics distinguishes itself from other courses that I have taken. Where can you find a place to let go of your stream of thoughts? Of course, it was fairly strange having a discussion based class, where other courses are strictly lecture. Although my fears prevented me from sharing much, I learned so much from my classmates. One starts to find beauty in others' way of thinking. Thats what happened. I always hoped that someone could surprise me and make me doubt my beliefs.

[I then start to reference my favorite Latin American authors]

They were my Unamuno (1). At times I felt as if I was in the house of Bernarda Alba (2) while Borges (3) gave me his hand. But Rulfo (4) moved his hands off my ears and let me listen and I wasn't worried. 

I thank you all. I know many can't understand this blog, but just know that I care about you all.

The semester is over, but we remain with a lifetime of friendships and experiences. 

(1) Unamuno wrote Saint Emmanuel the Good, Martyr, where a priest doubts the existence of God. I am referring to the beginning of the semester where all the different ideas people shared went against my own, and I started to doubt whether or not what I believed was even valid. 

(2) La Casa De Bernarda Alba is a play that exposes a family of young women who are being forced to marry into higher classes by their mother, despite their interest in marrying their true love. This reference pertains to moments where I wasn't sure if I was supposed to accept these new ideas and ways of thinking, or if I should stick to my original beliefs.

(3) Borges is a Argentine writer who is best known for his work, El Sur (The South). The protagonist in the story undergoes a voyage where he starts to recognize his true identity. In World Politics, I have learned that I don't I have to accept everything, but I can grow from others' ideas. I have a better understanding of who I am and what I represent.

(4) Rulfo wrote No Oyes Ladrar Los Perros which is a story of a father who is carrying his son on his shoulders and tells his son to guide him towards the sound of the dogs, which would lead them to a near by town. Throughout the story, the son has his hands on his fathers years and the father guides himself based on what his son points towards. At the end of the story, the father pushes off the hands of his son and realizes that the dogs had been barking the whole time, yet his son never told him. | My upbringing in a different country has always dictated what I believe in and what I find important. Nevertheless, I realized that at times my culture did restrain me from respecting different ideas and it added to my ignorance. Through World Politics, I have been able to let go and feel comfortable with my beliefs and those of others. 




2 comments:

  1. Well, if you get to write in Spanish...
    Ich werde auf Deutsch sprechen. Ich habe dieses blog gemocht. Es war interessant, wie -
    Never mind, I give up. I haven't spoken a word of German since I moved here eight years ago. Forming sentences takes way longer than it should.
    In any case, I find it interesting that you chose to write in Spanish. It makes me realize that even though we can know different languages, there are certain things that can be best expressed in the language that you know best. Subtle differences in translations can change the tone of what someone is saying, and therefore change the perceived meaning ever so slightly. What sort of problems could arise from this, in international relations? Could subtle hostilities be perceived when there are none intended? What sort of effects and implications could this have?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to start by saying that Rachel definitely knows more German than that =P. I would also like to agree with Rachel in that it is possible that sometimes the language barrier could hamper international relations. The UN itself has, I believe, five different official languages, of which I am sure that not everyone can speak all five. There must be frequent tension caused based on language barriers alone. But that is why it is so important for people to know several languages. In my opinion, being multi lingual helps to weaken that language barrier and helps to promote diversity in the world. I think I might have just found my paper topic, actually.

    ReplyDelete