Saturday, December 4, 2010

Reflection: First Semester

So its finally over. My first semester of college certainly was not what I expected. Between ROTC and my course load, I was pretty darn busy, but I must say I learned a lot. Specifically my understanding of World Politics became broadened to include much more than I had thought it would. My teachers in high school had always had a very limited view of on world politics that didn't really extend beyond the major theories. Now it feels like everything I learn is somewhat interconnected.

Things in my Macroeconomics class came up in world politics, and things in world politics came up in my Views from the Third World Class. Things from all these classes were constantly coming up and relating to one another. That's when I felt I was really learning something. I guess the next logical question to ask would be what can I do with this new knowledge? Well, I think I'll be able to better develop a comprehensive way of thinking about the globe. If I learned anything its that anything is possible. While I maintain many of the convictions I had coming in, they have actually been strengthened in some cases by the information I have gleaned. Also in some cases my views have been altered. Most of all I think the UC was a good experience that helped us to interact in a microcosm of the world with all of our different backgrounds, identities, etc... and we all got along. There is hope for the world after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment