Monday, September 27, 2010

Err.. Baseball

I realized I don’t like baseball. It’s not my cup of tea. I don’t understand the logic or even the enjoyment can have of watching one person come up to bat, followed by another, and another.. its never-ending and tiresome. Honestly, its all about the individual and not the group. What’s the point of having a team then? Neverthless, I was impressed by the crowd in the game. Although the stadium wasn’t quite packed, everyone seemed united. Maybe it was because there were screens telling people when to clap or scream or chant. It made me feel more American than I have ever felt. Really. Perhaps it was George and Benjamin racing or the fact that the Nationals colors are red and white, followed by the occasional blue in the background, that I felt as if I was finally embracing the American culture I had so long heard of. I remember watching cartoons when I was younger and developing my own idea of what happened in the baseball stadium. There were peanuts! And hotdogs!

Now, is this similar to what I find at home? Err.. not really. I’ll give it you Americans, you keep your act together during the game. I would be surprised if I was at a soccer game and people didn’t end up breaking into a major fight. I know everyone can’t keep their act together (meaning Americans), but I haven’t heard of a shooting following a baseball game. Why is it so? I mean, in Honduras you know to get out of the stadium ASAP because if not, you’ll confront two major soccer gangs.

I really don’t know how to tie things in the end. Baseball isn’t my thing, but I admire the sportsmanship from both the team and their fans. I wonder though, if Honduras were to get rid of the hooliganism in regards to soccer, will it have the same impact on society? Will it mean as much? People are “hooligans” because they find that they cant find their place in society and are able to develop an identity with soccer. Will we be hurting society? It unites the country, but hurts it at the same time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment